[Mailman-Users] Options page bombing out on a security violation

Hank van Cleef vancleef at lostwells.net
Tue Jan 2 22:47:47 CET 2007

I'm attaching a user's description of something about 20 of my users are
reporting on a fresh install of Mailman 2.1.9  I've edited the user
identity, and am including configuration info following the forwarded
mail.  I'm baffled, because I cannot get this problem to happen from
any of the systems at my site, and some users (unfortunately, all of
the computer-literate types who might be able to help) aren't getting it
either.

> I too am suffering from the
>
> "High security alert!!!
> You are not permitted to download the file "user at userdomain.com".
>
> URL = http://bronze.lostwells.net/mailman/options/mercedes/user@userdomain.com"
>
> when trying to switch off the mail
>
> path followed is as follows:-

> 2, click on "unsubscribe or edit options" button
>
> 3, http://bronze.lostwells.net/mailman/options/mercedes
>
> 4, sign in with normal login details, the page refreshes with all the
> parameters viewable
>
> 5, disable mail delivery and click "submit my changes"
>
> 6, High Security message at the url
> http://bronze.lostwells.net/mailman/options/mercedes/user@userdomain.com

Configuration details: Solaris 9 on Sun Ultra 10
Python 2.5
Mailman 2.1.9

Since I am taking over hosting for a list that was running on a Mailman
2.1.4 installation, I built a local 2.1.4 tree, created the list, then
copied the old site config.pck over the newly-created one.  Then built
2.1.9 and upgraded the 2.1.4 tree.

# cd /usr/local/mailman
# ./bin/check_perms
No problems found

Hank

--
Hank van Cleef (vancleef at lostwells.net, hvanclee at nyx.net)
1986 420SEL "A stranger in paradise" (Fremont Co. Wyoming)