[Mailman-Users] No mail and no posts from mailman

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Wed Feb 28 05:32:19 CET 2007

I am befuddled.

mailman-2.1.8-0.FC4.1 (from RPM)
Fedora Core 4 (kept up to date with nightly yum)
postfix-2.2.2-2 (from RPM)

This is an established list server that has had one functioning list
(albeit very low volume, so I can't swear that it is still working).

I added a new list, put myself and one other person as the
administrator, set it to send notifications of new subscribers, and
subscribed both of us to the list.

Then I sent two test emails to the list, but they seem to have gone into a
black hole.  My workstation mail server sent them:

Feb 26 18:07:33 bobcat postfix/smtp[1119]: 5B3EF42C8: to=<foobarlist at lists.bobcatos.com>, relay=bubba.bobcatos.com[192.168.3.2], delay=0, status=sent (250 Ok: queued as AC98C2057)
Feb 26 22:08:54 bobcat postfix/smtp[11974]: DFFA742C8: to=<foobarlist at lists.bobcatos.com>, relay=bubba.bobcatos.com[192.168.3.2], delay=1, status=sent (250 Ok: queued as 429CA2056)

My list server got it:

Feb 26 18:07:41 bubba postfix/local[17421]: AC98C2057: to=<foobarlist at lists.bobcatos.com>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post foobarlist)
Feb 26 22:09:03 bubba postfix/local[20514]: 429CA2056: to=<foobarlist at lists.bobcatos.com>, relay=local, delay=1, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post foobarlist)

But nothing came out.  Nothing held for moderation.  Nothing in the
/var/log/mailman/* logs about them.  Nothing in the archives.
Following FAQ 3.14:

0) Did it.

1) # ps auxww| grep mailmanctl |grep -v grep
mailman   7087  0.0  0.3  13048  1672 ?        Ss    2006   0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl -s -q start
# ps auxww | egrep 'p[y]thon'
mailman   7087  0.0  0.3  13048  1672 ?        Ss    2006   0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl -s -q start
mailman   7097  0.0  0.5  12912  2508 ?        S     2006   0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=RetryRunner:0:1 -s

2) My /etc/mailman/aliases contains (among other things)

# STANZA START: foobarlist
# CREATED: Sat Feb 24 18:33:52 2007
foobarlist:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post foobarlist"
foobarlist-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin foobarlist"
foobarlist-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces foobarlist"
foobarlist-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm foobarlist"
foobarlist-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join foobarlist"
foobarlist-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave foobarlist"
foobarlist-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner foobarlist"
foobarlist-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request foobarlist"
foobarlist-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe foobarlist"
foobarlist-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe foobarlist"
# STANZA END: foobarlist

And the aliases.db file was updated.  But then we knew that from the
maillog entries.  Also, my postfix main.cf contains

alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

But then we knew that from the maillog entries, too.

3) Smrsh (not applicable)

4) Interface:  This is a full-bore company mail server and has
   serviced the other list just fine, not to mention Squirrelmail and
   several daemons and cron jobs that send mail.

5) qrunner: Mailman is started by /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailman, and
# service mailman status
mailman (pid 7087) is running...

6) Locks:

# ls -l ~mailman/locks
ls: /usr/lib/mailman/locks: No such file or directory

7) Logs:  The only things in the logs are the subscriptions:

[root at bubba mailman]# cat qrunner
Feb 25 04:08:42 2007 (7087) Master watcher caught SIGHUP.  Re-opening log files.
Feb 25 04:08:44 2007 (7097) RetryRunner qrunner caught SIGHUP.  Reopening logs.
[root at bubba mailman]# cat subscribe
Feb 26 17:42:35 2007 (10359) foobarlist: new bob at bobcatos.com, admin mass sub
Feb 26 17:42:35 2007 (10359) foobarlist: new otherperson at domain.com, admin mass sub

   The only thing in error is the result of running mailmanctl with no
   arguments.  /var/log/mailman/smtp is zero-length.

8) Qfiles: # ls -l ~mailman/qfiles
ls: /usr/lib/mailman/qfiles: No such file or directory
# locate qfiles
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/show_qfiles

   Okay, with this and (6), I'm wondering if some directories are
   missing.  But if so, why is (or was) the other list functioning,
   and why is there nothing in the logs about it?

   Also, the server has been up for 216 days, and the other list was
   created since the last boot, so there's been no system crash to
   take something out.

9) SMTPHOST: /var/log/mailman/smtp shows no signs of distress, in
   fact, it is zero-length (and owned by mailman).

10) Sendmail + mm-handler (not applicable)

For FAQ 1.7:

a) N/A since this is v2.1.8.

b, c, and d) Aliases are ok by inspection and log entries, above.

e) qrunner is running.

f) No messages for moderation.

g) /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py contains

DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = "www.bobcatos.com"
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = "lists.bobcatos.com"

What clues am I missing?

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"But what about you?" Jesus asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Peter answered, "You are the Christ."  Mark 8:29 (NIV)