[Mailman-Users] Alternatives to having a list own itself

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 14:43:21 CET 2007

On 2/22/07, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:
> At 6:43 PM -0700 2/22/07, Kelly Jones wrote:
>
> >  My question: what's the best way to handle a situation like this? Have
> >  a list owned by itself or "effectively" owned by itself.
>
> What I've done in situations similar to this, is to make the
> listowner list itself owned by an alias that is directly resolvable
> out of /etc/aliases.  So, there is no loop -- owner mail for other
> lists goes to the listowner list, owner mail for the listowner list
> goes to the listmaster alias, and that's that.

Thanks, Brad. My problem here is that the 'sysops' list changes
frequently, and I don't want to maintain it in two places
(/etc/mail/aliases and the list membership). I suppose I could have a
script update /etc/mail/aliases using the output of "list_members
sysops", but this seems kludgey.

I'd also like members of 'sysops' to decide whether they want "message
to 'sysops' awaiting approval" or not. If I make it an alias, everyone
will get these emails. If I send it to a mailing list, I can setup a
topic so that only people who want those messages will receive them.