[Mailman-Users] Confirmation and sent messages not

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Feb 24 17:43:47 CET 2007

Jason Luck wrote:

>Why is the default in DaemonPortOptions set for 127.0.0.1 as opposed to a
>broader range?  It would seem most folks would want to be able to external
>mail through their box and from what I'm learning would require the
>127.0.0.1 to be changed.  Also by changing this...does one open themselve
>up to security issues?

These are good questions, but they are Sendmail questions. There are
whole books (e.g. the 'bat' book) devoted to Sendmail, and I haven't
read any of them.

The important thing is to not be an open relay - i.e. only accept mail
from outside for local delivery; do not accept mail from outside to be
relayed to another outside location; only accept 'outside delivery'
mail from the localhost.

I would think that the default Sendmail configuration would not be an
open relay, but I don't know. There are various services, e.g.,
<http://www.abuse.net/relay.html>, that will test to see if your
server is an open relay.