[Mailman-Users] Auto-reject non-member messages?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 24 06:30:00 CET 2007

At 9:47 AM -0800 2/23/07, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  Discard is better than Reject unless you feel you might receive
>  non-member posts for which it is important to respond in some way,
>  i.e. some legitimate request from a non-member who would assume the
>  request was received in the absence of a negative reply.

Whereas I would turn that around and say that Reject is better than
Discard, because it's generally better to notify legitimate senders
that their post was rejected as opposed to simply throwing it away
silently.

Of course, this method can lend itself to certain other types of
abuses (e.g., Joe Jobs), although Mailman does work hard to try to
mitigate those.