[Mailman-Users] Making all bounces, even temporary ones, go to list owner

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 22 19:56:02 CET 2007

Whitcomb, Jeff wrote:

>delayed messages as a list owner, and did not know that I am not
>supposed to having the list configured as he mentions.

I am not trying to say how anyone is 'supposed' to have her or his list
set up in general. I was only trying to say how this one person's
lists could be set up so the owner could see every single bounce.

>The message I get is:
>
>"The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
>format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
>from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all unrecognized
>bounce messages to the list administrator(s)."
>
>When I open the attachment, it has:
>

>"Your message has been delayed and is still awaiting delivery to the
>following recipient(s):
>
><email address>
>(Was addressed to <email address>)
>Message delayed
>

>Could not resolve mail server name because DNS server did not respond in
>time."
>

>The delayed message also has two attachments, one is an error status
>message that says:
>

>"Reporting-MTA: dns; mailrelay.<originating domain>
>Received-From-MTA: dns; server5.<originating domain> (unverified
>[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])
>Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:44:47 -0600
>
>Final-Recipient: rfc822; <destination email address>
>Action: delayed
>available)"
>

>The other attachment appears to be the header of the original email.

The above information seems to indicate a RFC 1894/3464 compliant DSN
which should be recognized, but for some reason, is not. If it were
recognized properly, it would be ignored because "Action: delayed" is
informational and doesn't indicate delivery failure (yet).

>Before I went through and stripped out server addresses and put fake
>stuff in, I wanted to see what information I need to send where to
>determine if this is an unrecognized bounce format that needs to be
>added to MailMan, or if it might be something else?

The "Uncaught bounce notification" you receive has two MIME parts - the
boilerplate text you quote above and the attached message/rfc822 part
which is the message received by Mailman. I need to see this
message/rfc822 part in its entirety with all it's MIME headers intact.
I don't care if you mung email addresses, host names and IP addresses,
but I need the raw message. I also need to know which Mailman version
this is.

Then I can tell you if the bounce would be recognized by current
Mailman or not, and I would have what I need to add it to the
recognizer if possible.

You can sent the message to me off list if you wish. If you trust me to
preserve the confidentiality of your information, the easiest thing is
to just forward the "Uncaught bounce notification" as an attachment if
your MUA does that conveniently.