[Mailman-Users] Mailman-Users Digest, Vol 36, Issue 24

Glen Page glen.page at thet.net
Fri Feb 16 12:31:25 CET 2007

Not sure if this is related by I got an odd message from one of my
moderators. At least one list subscriber is getting messages but the
top half of the messages is gone. This is puzzling as it is not
happening to everyone on the list. I do NOT know what client is
displaying the partial messages. I do know that the moderator sending
the messages is using OS X Mail Client.

Moderator has found that adding a few carriage returns to the top of
the original post makes it show up fine.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 6:00 AM, mailman-users-request at python.org wrote:

> From: Paul Navarre <pnavarre at netinteraction.com>
> Date: February 15, 2007 10:33:33 PM EST
> To: Mailman-Users at python.org
> Subject: [Mailman-Users] Plain text message arrives with wrong
> encoding
>

> I have a client who is receiving messages from a Mailman list I run
> that aren't showing up as expected. The list is supposed to be
> converting to plain text and this works fine for me (I use
> Thunderbird). My client on the other hand was getting the messages
> with a non-plain text font. She uses Outlook. After much fumbling
> around I noticed that the encoding of these messages are reported
> as Central European by Outlook. If I manually change the encoding
> on these messages to West European the messages look as I would
> expect.
>
> I cannot figure out why these messages are showing up with Central
> European encoding. All of the settings in Outlook are set to what I
> would expect for a US user. I can't find anything that would point
> to Outlook converting the message to Central European encoding. The
> same message received by me in Thunderbird show up correctly with
> Western encoding.
>
> She is also receiving messages from other sources and they are
> showing up with the correct plain text font as set in Outlook. In
> seems that she is only having problems with messages from my
> Mailman server.
>
> Does anybody have any guesses as to what might be happening?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Navarre

Glen Page
Technology Systems Administrator
ThetNet

It is fruitless to become lachrymose because of scattered lacteal
fluid!!!