[Mailman-Users] Change hundreds of digest subscribers to non-digest

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Feb 13 19:27:38 CET 2007

At 8:58 AM -0800 2/13/07, Jeff Pflueger wrote:

>  So I'd like to resolve this problem by either
>  1 - Disabling the digest option (easy) and then changing all the
>  "digest" subscribers to regular subscribers (this appears to be
>  difficult - doing it by hand would be impossible - big list) How does
>  one do this?

Use "withlist".  There are plenty of examples in the FAQ Wizard and
the archives.

>  2 - Somehow prevent the digests from "scrubbing" html

That's not really feasible.  The problem is that the process of
creating the digest does all sorts of things to the message which is
not compatible with HTML.  So, while you technically could change the
source code in your version of Mailman to remove the Scrubber
component from the digest process, the result simply wouldn't work.

Moreover, Mailman usually does a *lot* of things to messages as they
are passing through, and even if you go out of your way to avoid most
of them, you're still gambling that the input HTML will be formatted
in such a way that the minimal modifcations won't hopelessly screw it
up beyond recognition.

That's a pretty big bet.

Co-author of SAGE Booklet #15 "Internet Postmaster: Duties and
Responsibilities"
Founding Member and Platinum Individual Sponsor of LOPSA:
<http://www.lopsa.org>
Papers: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4> LinkedIn Profile:
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>