[Mailman-Users] Challenge/response

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Feb 9 03:56:06 CET 2007

At 1:40 PM -0800 2/8/07, Bob Morse wrote:

>                     He would like to set up a challenge/response mechanism
>  so that when xyz at domain.com posts to the list, xyz at domain.com gets sent a
>  copy of the message and must confirm that he/she was the sender before it
>  gets posted. I don't see any configuration in Mailman for this. Is it
>  possible?

Challenge/response is one of the most vile inventions that has ever
been applied to the concept of Internet e-mail.  I would violently
oppose any integration of such features into any project I was
involved with.

At the very least, you would have to be very, very careful how such a
system was created, so as to avoid the problem where the "cure" is
far worse than any possible disease that you might have.

Co-author of SAGE Booklet #15 "Internet Postmaster: Duties and
Responsibilities"
Founding Member and Platinum Individual Sponsor of LOPSA:
<http://www.lopsa.org>
Papers: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4> LinkedIn Profile:
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>