[Mailman-Users] Mailing List subscriptions are 'frozen'

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 8 20:13:30 CET 2007

Derek Cicero wrote:

>We've been running mailman 2.1.4 on Solaris for about 2 years and in the
>last week the subscription confirmations have seemingly stopped being
>sent to users.

What is the setting for Privacy options...->Subscription
rules->subscribe_policy>?

Is VirginRunner running? See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>
section 1)b).

>In looking at the subscription log, it's only been able
>to process 11 new subscriptions today, vs. 5000 pending ones.
>
>Now, the 5000+ subscription requests seems odd, since that would match
>the total number of subscribers to all lists, so I assume those are
>attempts by spam-subscribers.

What do the log entries say?

>Do we need to dump out the confirmation
>queue? Does mailman eventually get full of bad (spam) sign-up attempts?

The confirmation cookies expire after mm_cfg.PENDING_REQUEST_LIFE
(default 3 days) and are removed.