[Mailman-Users] Attachment URL's not working

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 8 19:54:42 CET 2007

Michael Lee wrote:

>I've noticed that when I send e-mails with attachments (for example, either
>an HTML message sent from my gmail account or an attached jpeg) to my test
>list, I get the following footer
>
>blah message
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
>The first part of the URL is clickable, the second is not.
<snip>
>How do I fix my footers so that no equal sign gets injected into the
>attachment URL, and that the entire URL is clickable?

This is not a Mailman issue. Apparently, the message you receive is
quoted-printable encoded. Among other things, quoted-printable
encoding allows long lines to be split by adding an '=' just before
the new-line that splits the long line. I.e., the line

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl

could be split in a quoted-printable encoding into

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm=
nopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl

and the user agent that renders the message is supposed to drop the =
and the immediately following newline, thus rejoining the two pieces
into one long line.

Either your MUA (mail client) is not properly understanding the
quoted-printable encoding or some other agent in the delivery path
from Mailman to you has munged the message.