[Mailman-Users] Permissions Problems

Jay Chandler chandler.lists at chapman.edu
Mon Feb 5 21:12:04 CET 2007

Did a make install from the FreeBSD Ports tree with the following
options set (as per a Postfix install):

MM_USERNAME=mailman     The username of the Mailman user.
MM_USERID=91            The user ID of the Mailman user.
MM_GROUPNAME=mailman    The group to which the Mailman user will belong.
MM_GROUPID=MM_USERID    The group ID for the Mailman user.
MM_DIR=mailman          Mailman will be installed in /usr/local/mailman.
CGI_GID=www             The group name or id under which your web server
executes CGI scripts.
IMGDIR=www/icons        Icon images will be installed in
/usr/local/www/icons.

However, I attempt to mail the test list I created, and get the
following error:

Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
    wrapper script to be executed as group "nobody", but the system's mail
    server executed the mail script as group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail
    server to run the script as group "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing
    the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.

The permissions on /usr/local/mailman/data/ are:
total 56
-rw-r-----  1 root     mailman     41 Jan 26 13:33 adm.pw
-rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman   4540 Feb  5 11:26 aliases
-rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  16384 Feb  5 11:26 aliases.db
-rw-r--r--  1 root     mailman  13948 Feb  5 11:25 english252.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root     mailman     10 Feb  5 11:43 last_mailman_version
-rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman      6 Feb  5 11:57 master-qrunner.pid
-rw-r--r--  1 root     mailman  14114 Feb  5 11:47 sitelist.cfg

The alias exists nowhere else on this box.

Postfix is set to run as the user postfix.

Does anyone have a clue?  Cookies for solutions-- it's approaching
crunch time!

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
Today's Excuse: We're upgrading /dev/null