[Mailman-Users] User Passwords and Conversion from Majordomo

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Feb 5 20:44:06 CET 2007

I have to convert all of our Majordomo lists to Mailman.  I have some
questions about the subscriber passwords.

For each list I convert, I will be taking the existing Majordomo list
subscriber e-mail addresses and doing a "Mass Subscription" via the
Mailman list administrator web page.

1) If I send welcome messages to the subscribers, then each
   subscriber will get a randomly generated password in the
   welcome message.  If I choose not to send the welcome
   message, then is there a password generated?  If so, how
   does the subscriber authenticate to the web page in
   order to update his/her subscription options?

2) In the initial lists I will be converting, there are persons who
   are subscribed to multiple lists.  These subscribers will receive a
   different password for each list, if I send welcome messages.  Is
   there a way of synchronizing the passwords?  From my reading of the
   FAQ and looking at the web page, a subscriber can use one of the
   lists and the randomly generated password in the welcome message,
   go to the web, and globally change the passwords for all of
   his/her lists.  I would prefer to have some way of generating a
   random password for a user for the first list to which he/she is
   subscribed, and then to use the same password for the subsequent
   lists, as I convert them.

Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov