[Mailman-Users] permissions denied

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Feb 4 04:47:04 CET 2007

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

>check_ perms comes back ok.

Then I'm not sure what's happening, but

>>> I keep getting a permissions denied error on my mailman que file.
>>>  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>>> "||/var/mailman/mail/wrapper post divtech"
>>>     (reason: 1)
>>>     (expanded from: <divtech at harrisonburg.k12.va.us>)

/var/mailman/mail/wrapper should be SETGID - normally its permissions
are 2755 and its user:group are root:mailman. The owner need not be
root, it is usually whatever user installed mailman.

>>> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>>> '/var/spool/mailman/qfiles/28b06832587685d7f1a7ebb30c4636a63e9b0a45.db'
>>> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

And the directory /var/spool/mailman/qfiles/ needs to be writable by
the above group (mailman or ?). Normally, /var/spool/mailman and all
its subordinate directories will have permissions 2775 and user:group
root:mailman.