[Mailman-Users] sendmail/mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 18 02:22:13 CET 2007

Troy Knabe wrote:

>Whenever I send to a mail list that I have created it gets "stuck" in /
>var/spool/mqueue.  Once I restart sendmail it instantly processes all
>of the list messages and they go out.  Any ideas where I might have
>configured this wrong?

This appears to be a sendmail issue, but check Mailman's smtp and
smtp-failure logs just in case. Assuming you find only the normal
"<msg-id> smtp to <listname> for nnn recipients, completed in t.ttt
seconds" messages in smtp and nothing in smtp-failure, then Mailman
has completed its SMTP transaction(s) to sendmail, and as you say, the
messages are queued by sendmail. I don't know why it takes a restart
for sendmail to process the queue. I could be wrong, but I don't think
it's Mailman.

The only Mailman configuration that affects SMTP at this level is
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS which may need to be reduced from it's default of 500
if sendmail is limited to fewer recipients per transaction.