[Mailman-Users] List Topics (was: accept_these_nonmembers not working)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Dec 17 03:49:22 CET 2007

On 12/16/07, Cyndi Norwitz quoted Stephen J. Turnbull:

>>    But you'll bother the Mailman developers because they do it for free?
>
>  I do not wish to take over the list with meta-discussion but your comments
>  are completely uncalled for.

IMO, the truth is somewhere between those two points.  Stephen may
have been a bit harsh, but there's definitely a kernel of reality
there.

>  When I found this mailing list, it appeared to be a general discussion list
>  for Mailman users.  As I said before, if I was mistaken about the purpose
>  of the list then I hope Mark or another list owner will correct me and
>  guide me to a more appropriate venue.

We have had numerous historical problems with users of software that
have been more or less heavily customized by other groups (e.g.,
cPanel, Plesk, Apple, etc...), and because of the amount of changes
that have been made to the code and to the method in which they
install and administer their customized version, there is relatively
little we can do to help their users.

If you've got a problem with Plesk's modified version of Mailman, you
need to go talk to the Plesk guys.  If you've got a problem with
cPanel's modified version of Mailman, you need to go talk to the
cPanel guys, although we know from past experience that they're not
that responsive.  If you've got a problem with Apple's modified
version of Mailman, then don't even bother to go talk to Apple
because we know from past experience that no one ever there will ever
listen to you.

If you've got a problem with the Debian or Red Hat binary packages,
those respective communities actually have their own support
resources that you should be able to use for these sorts of things,
and you should be able to contact their maintainers.

So, now the question becomes how does your ISP fit into this picture?

>                                                                  When I
>  can, I do direct them to better places for the information, which is what I
>  hope will happen here, if in fact I have been posting to the wrong place.

This is not necessarily the wrong place for you to be asking your
questions.  Just keep in mind that we've been burned before by
several other parties, and when people start talking about
proprietary versions of Mailman, or non-standard configurations of
Mailman, we may tend to get a little touchy.