[Mailman-Users] accept_these_nonmembers not working

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Sun Dec 16 21:47:01 CET 2007

   Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:18:45 -0800
   From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>

   >   Check your membership list to see if she is a moderated member.
   >
   >I just checked and she is not listed as a member under that address.

   How about another address in her message. If any address in a From:,
   the post will be considered to be from that member for purposes of
   moderation.

Ahhh...I checked her latest post and she has reply-to set to a different
address.  And that address is indeed subscribed to the list.  Because it
never was a checkbox option in the moderation section of the admin site, I
never unchecked the moderation box.  I have unchecked it now from the
members list.

I will let you know if it doesn't solve the problem.

   >BTW, I'm using version 2.1.9.

   Actually, I think you are using Sonic's Mailman which we've already
   determined is non-standard at least wrt mass subscribe.

Now, now, I think an ISP disabling mass subscribe for its hundreds
(thousands?) of users it doesn't know personally is pretty reasonable.
It's a PITA for responsible list owners like me but there are some
irresponsible people out there and many of them think nothing of
subscribing lots of people to mailing lists without their permission.
After all, most Mailman users install it on their own servers, so obviously
they trust themselves.  As far as I can tell, the rest of the setup is
pretty standard.

Thanks for helping me track this oddness down.

Cyndi