[Mailman-Users] Extracting e-mail addresses from a dead machine

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 12 16:48:10 CET 2007

Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:

>I have the data backup from a dead machine. The list is not moved
>to a new server (yet). Therefore I have no running system of Mailman.
>
>Is there a way of extracting the e-mail addresses from this (data)
>backup?

The addresses are in Mailman's lists/<listname>/config.pck file on the
backup.  All the good ways of getting them require access to a Mailman
installation somewhere. Since you don't have that, you are left with
running 'strings config.pck' and sifting through the output for the
addresses.

If you did have access to a Mailman installation, you could run
Mailman's bin/dumpdb against the config.pck which would produce output
easier to deal with, or you could create a lists/<listname>/ directory
in that installation, put the config.pck in it and run
"bin/list_members -f -p <listname>"