[Mailman-Users] Bounce Processing Emails

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Dec 11 15:36:32 CET 2007

On 12/11/07, Cyndi Norwitz wrote:

>  Now that my main lists were migrated to Mailman today, I discovered that
>  notifications of bounces are being sent to my catch-all mailbox.  For some
>  reason, MM makes up a To: address.
>
>  Here's an example:
>  immune-bounces+immune=cunews.carleton.ca at immuneweb.org

No, Mailman is not making up this address as a "To:" address.  This
is an address format known as VERP (search the FAQ Wizard), and this
is used as the envelope sender address for when you're sending out
messages from the mailing list known as "immune" to the recipient
address "immune at cunews.carleton.ca".  What appears to be happening is
that this recipient address is bouncing, thus causing a bounce
(a.k.a., "non-delivery notice", or NDN) to be sent back to this VERP
sender address.

If your MTA understands the VERP format correctly, it should be
passing back everything with an address of
"immune-bounces+[insert.whatever.here]@immuneweb.org" back to your
Mailman installation, where the standard Mailman bounce handling
mechanism should take care of this problem.

>  Obviously, I can't make email filters for every single one of my
>  subscribers.  But I'd like to see the bounce messages.

Generally speaking, you should let Mailman handle the bounces
messages automatically.

>  Is there a way to get MM to simply send the bounces to an address I
>  specify, or just to the list-owner which is specified elsewhere?

That's an option you can take, if you decide to omit all the other
standard aliases that need to be created for Mailman.  You could just
have all that traffic come back to you directly.

However, your bigger problem is that your ISP needs to configure
their MTA (postfix, sendmail, whatever) to properly understand VERP
format so that you have the possibility of having these bounces sent
back to wherever you want.  Until the MTA is configured properly, and
the aliases are set up properly, there's nothing else you can do.

It all comes down to your ISP understanding how to operate and manage
Mailman correctly, as well as understanding how to operate and manage
all the related parts of an e-mail system.