[Mailman-Users] How to stop spam emails

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Mon Dec 10 07:53:10 CET 2007

   From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
   Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:44:29 +0900

    > If the spam problem is too great, I may have to disallow non-member posts
    > except for people who write me asking to be put on an approved list.  I
    > have several regular posters who are not subscribers by their own choice
    > (their posts are generally newsletters).

   This kind of poster might best be served by having them subscribe and
   set their subscription to no-mail.  This also is a useful strategy for
   members with multiple addresses.

This will not work in my situation for more than a certain percentage of my
non-member posts.  The details aren't important (to this list anyway).

    > No.  I said I don't want my unmoderated members to get their posts
    > held due to having keywords that match spam.  Spam filters always
    > have false positives.  In my experience, SA has a ton of false
    > positives on my list posts.

   Please be more specific about "false positive".  If you mean according
   to the default setting of "5.0 is spam", you might still get rid of a
   *lot* of spam by raising that to 10.0 without false positives.

False positive means it's legit mail that is in my spam folder.  Using my
ISP's defaults.

    > Yes, that is acceptable, if I can access them.  But I don't want spam to be
    > left in my moderation box.

   How does your graymail work?  It sounded to me like it was just
   another moderation box.  Now you have two, as I understand it.  This
   may be a win for you, but I don't see why it would be offhand.

Graymail is a list of from addresses and subject headers of every email
there.  If it's all spam, I scan and ignore.  It goes away forever after 7
days (my setting).

Anything in moderation for MM must be clicked on.  One at a time.  3 clicks
per sender (which means per spam most of the time) if I want to set the
address to auto-discard and ban the spammer from joining the list, in
addition to simply discarding the email.

False positives are far easier to deal with in MM moderation than in
graymail, but my ISP is about to come out with a better version of graymail
that may reduce the workload.

Cyndi