[Mailman-Users] Mailman Digest Content-Transfer-Encoding

Andrew Miller ajmiller at psu.edu
Mon Dec 3 04:24:32 CET 2007

Hi,
We run Mailman 2.1.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server. Postfix 2.1.5 is the
SMTP server. A number of our subscribers who are sent digests are not
able to receive them. The digest messages are bouncing with the error
message:

Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Many of these digests are sent with the header Content-Transfer-
Encoding: 8bit, and I am wondering if this is what is causing some of
our subscribers to not receive these messages.

Has anyone else here experienced this problem, and is there a way to
force Mailman to generate digests using the quoted-printable encoding
instead? Or possibly, is there a way to get Postfix to translate to
quoted-printable? We have recently migrated to Mailman from a
different list serve program, and never had this problem with digests
with the older list serve.

-- Andrew