[Mailman-Users] Mass Subscribe Option

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Sun Dec 2 02:06:47 CET 2007

Okay, another question.

I am migrating lists from another system and the easiest way to do this is
to use mass subscribe and just put all the old users into it.  With a few
warnings on the existing list that anyone who doesn't want to be moved
needs to unsub now.

When I use mass subscribe at Sonic.net, the text indicates I'll have a
choice of actually subscribing the addresses or inviting them.  But there
is no choice.  It just goes directly to invite.

This has been a problem because, for one list I've migrated, there are
about 65 subscribers who have responded to the invite (I've done it twice
along with several posts to the existing list with links to the direct sub
page) and about 250 who haven't.  Only one person has asked not to be
migrated.  In some cases, friends of mine haven't responded to the invite
(and said they didn't see the requests...because they weren't paying
attention, not because they weren't sent).

I'd really like to sub everyone and be done with it.

I assume this is a setting on Sonic's end?  I posted to the local usenet
group for mailman and got no reply (their tech support prefers to use
usenet for anything that's not a basic issue and they are good about
replying except in the mailman group, which is rarely used).

If someone can confirm my suspicion and give me the details, I will pass it
on to Sonic tech support and see if they can do something about it.  I
suspect it was set this way on purpose as an antispam measure, but it's a
big inconveince for those of us migrating legitimate lists.

Thanks,
Cyndi