[Mailman-Users] Message received by mailman and archives, but won't deliver

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Aug 31 02:26:02 CEST 2007

Kyle Banerjee wrote:

>Further clarification on this problem.
>
>It turns out that not everything is showing in the post log. After a
>certain amount of time, the messages that are not getting through
>appear in qfiles/out/*.pck

How much time? They should appear almost immediately in qfiles/out/
unless they've been spending time in qfiles/retry/.

What is in Mailman's smtp-failure log? What does Mailman's smtp log
look like? does it show the symptom of a backlogged qfiles/out/ queue?
Namely, many successive entries being timestamped at intervals equal
to the processing time of the entry.

>I turned debug=1 in SMTPDirect.py but haven't uncovered anything.

What 'debug=1'? If you mean you just set

debug=1

in SMTPDirect.py, this will do nothing. The only additional debugging
switch that applies to SMTPDirect.py is described at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.073.htp>,
and be sure to note that this won't work and will only cause
additional problems if your Python version is less than 2.4.

>This is nuts, I'm willing to entertain even crazy speculation at this point.

If the messages that aren't being delivered are remaining in Mailman's
qfiles/retry and qfiles/out queues, report what you find in Mailman's
smtp-failure (and as Brad suggested, error) logs and what you find
from examination of Mailman's smtp log.

If the messages are accepted by sendmail and then fail to be delivered,
that part at least is a sendmail issue.

Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp>.