[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Lighttpd, & file permissions

Jeffrey Rice jeffrice at finity.org
Wed Aug 29 18:41:08 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Jeffrey Rice wrote:
>> I am setting up Mailman to run with my chrooted Lighttpd installation.
>

> Mailman is not designed or intended to be run in this way. Mailman is
> normally installed with all of its files and directories in Mailman's
> group with appropriate group permissions and the cgi-bin wrappers run
> as SETGID.

Thank you for the reply.  I have actually made some good progress on
this.  The biggest thing I did that helped was switch from the Debian
package, which scatters files across the system, to compiling from
source and pointing it (./configure --prefix) to a directory inside the
jail.  This worked much better, since everything was in the some tree,
and I only had a few permissions to sort out.

So far, it appears to work well.  I have one error with the postalias
call, but since I'm using postfix-to-mailman.py I don't think I need it
and the list is created despite that crash.

Once I have done more testing, I will try to write this up (maybe for
the Wiki?) if it seems it would be helpful.

Jeff