[Mailman-Users] Strange? Bounce Processing

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Aug 28 21:15:25 CEST 2007

I am trying to understand Mailman 2.1.9 bounce processing.  I run a
cron job each morning to capture all of the e-mail addresses for all
of my Mailman lists where the bounce score is greater than 0.

I have one list were there were bounces recorded for one e-mail address

     Jul 17  ==> score = 1.0
     Jul 24  ==> score = 2.0
     Jul 27  ==> score = 3.0
     Jul 31  ==> score = 4.0
     Aug 07  ==> score = 5.0

I have to assume that there were bounces on those days to this
particular address.  I cannot tell from the syslog on the smart mailer
to which Mailman sends all its outbound mail, as this address is on
a MS Exchange Server, and Exchange will accept all of the mail and
then reject some that it does not like.  Exchange does not do an SMTP
5xx-level reject during the SMTP portion of the inter-mailer dialog.

There was subsequent mail to this list

     Aug 14
     Aug 21

I do not know if there were bounces from these two postings, as the
bounce score for the address in question remained at 5.0.

This morning I received mail from Mailman that this particular address
had been unsubscribed from the list.  Here are the bounce settings for
this list:

     bounce_processing: Yes
     bounce_score_threshold: 5.0
     bounce_info_stale_after: 40
     bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings: 3
     bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval : 7

     bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner: Yes
     bounce_notify_owner_on_disable: Yes
     bounce_notify_owner_on_removal: Yes

I would have expected an unsubscribe message on Aug 08, the morning
after the bounce score reached 5.0.  I do not understand why the
unsubscribe occurred this morning.

Can someone explain what is happening?  Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov