[Mailman-Users] cloning subscriber list to another list

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Aug 28 15:23:17 CEST 2007

Dear list,

I am faced with the situation of forking a list of several hundred
subscribers in such a way that the result is two lists with exactly
the same subscriber set, but with different settings.

I am aware of list_members and sync_members, but that will not
migrate nomail and digest users properly.

I have also searched the web and the FAQ and found a bit of a hint
here and there, but no solution to the problem.

I have seen the mailman-subscribers.py scripts, and cannot get it
working (possibly my fault, still trying), but even if I did,
sync_members cannot import nomail subscribers (or user passwords),
so it would not really help to have a dump.

Is anyone aware of a method to port subscriber sets from one list to
another, without copying the settings?

Or should I just duplicate the list
(/var/lib/mailman/{archives,lists}) and then proceed to reconfigure
the new one? In that case, does it matter that the old one will be
on a 2.1.5 instance while the new one is 2.1.9?

Thanks for any comments.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"i am a deeply superficial person."
                                                      -- andy warhol