[Mailman-Users] postfix/mailman problem: gorup mismatch error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Aug 24 16:00:12 CEST 2007

Ivan Ricotti wrote:

>Anytime I tried to post a message I had:
>
><my_list at my.domain.org>: Command died with status 2:
>    "/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post my_list". Command output: Group
>    mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
>    group "daemon", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>    group "smmta".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>    "daemon", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>    `--with-mail-gid=smmta'.
>
>Now, I read the mailman faq and now I fully understand the problem but I cannot
>say how to solve it: since I'm using Debian and I installed mailman from the
>package how can I change the GID option?

I can't tell you how to change the wrapper's expected group in a Debian
package. That's a Debian question, not a Mailman question.

But I can tell you that Postfix will pipe to Mailman using the
owner:group of the aliases* files in which it finds the Mailman
aliases, so you may be able to fix this on the Postfix side by
changing that owner:group or by putting Mailman's aliases in separate
files with appropriate owner:group.