[Mailman-Users] Gnu Autotools: Mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 23 20:47:19 CEST 2007

Meenal Pant wrote:

>My software uses Mailman. I am using GNU autotools to bundle my software
>for distribution.  During ./configure I want to check if mailman is
>installed and capture the path and version in  some variables. What rules should I define in configure.ac ? Look for mailmanctl using AC_CHECK_PROGS ?

This is more an autoconf question than a Mailman question, but ...

I don't know how you can do this in general, since on a given system,
Mailman can be installed anywhere and there is no guarantee or even
likelyhood that Mailman's bin/ directory is in the user's path. Also,
there is no guarantee that the Mailman userid is 'mailman'.

If you can find the Mailman installation, version information is in the
file Mailman/Version.py.