[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 20 16:14:54 CEST 2007

John Mellon wrote:

>My ISP has created a Mailman mailing list service, which is working fine,
>except for one problem:
>
>As list moderator/administrator, if I send an email to my subscribers, and
>some subscribers have bad email addresses, I would like to receive a list of
>those addresses that are bad.
>
>My ISP does not seem to be able to help with this.
>
>I understand from the FAQs that there is a bounce log file generated by
>Mailman, but being removed from the technical admin of the service, I have
>no access to that.
>
>Has anyone got any experience in configuring Mailman to do what I need?

Since you have no access to the 'bounce' log, here's what you can do.

Go to the Bounce  processing page in the web admin interface.

Read the whole page including the details links for the various
settings.

Set all the notifications to 'Yes'.

Set the other parameters appropriately for the volume of your list.

You will not see most individual bounces, but when a member with a bad
address reaches bounce_score_threshold, that member's delivery will be
disabled and you will receive an email notice including the actual
bounce DSN. When the bad address is removed, you will receive another
notice.