[Mailman-Users] Is it possible to filter what is archived?

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Mon Aug 20 09:33:28 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Mike Peachey wrote:
>
>> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> The above is a bit too simple. Something like
>>>
>>> def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
>>>     if mlist.umbrella_list:
>>>         del msg['x-no-archive']
>>>         msg['X-No-Archive'] = 'Yes'
>>>
>>> is probably better to avoid creating multiple X-No-Archive: headers.
>>>
>>> Also, if you insert the handler prior to 'ToArchive', the message (any
>>> message to an umbrella list) will not be archived at all. If you
>>> insert the handler after 'ToArchive' but prior to 'ToOutgoing', the
>>> message will be archived in the archive of the first umbrella list it
>>> hits, but won't be archived in any subsequent lists which is probably
>>> more like what you want.
>>>

>> This is just what I need, thank you!
>>
>> However it seems that the "if mlist.umbrella_list:" statement is
>> superfluous. On the assumption that the handler is being inserted AFTER
>> the first archiving, then surely it's safe to assume that no message
>> should be archived a second time and so ALL messages should get an
>> X-No-Archive as soon as they've been archived once.
>>
>> Let me know if I'm off base here.
>

> Sorry for the long delay in replying. I have been away with no online
> access.
>
> You are correct for what you want to accomplish. I.e. if you only want
> any message to be archived once in the archive of the first list it
> hits, then it is safe to add the X-No-Archive header to all messages
> after ToArchive and before ToOutging. However, there may be other
> cases where one might have a list (e.g. mailman-users at python.org)
> which is not an umbrella list and which has, e.g. a mail-archive.com
> or some other external archive address as a member to provide a
> searchable archive or some other archiving benefit, and in this case,
> one wouldn't want to send the message to the external archiver with an
> X-No-Archive header.

Thanks for the reply. Since all our lists are archived, this is the way
we're dealing with it and it has been working well so far.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com