[Mailman-Users] Subscribing by email?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Aug 16 17:40:59 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:
>>  Also does mailman 2.1.3 support the sending of a blank email to
>>  <listname>-subscribe at blah.blah ? (or some similar address) instead
>>  of the subscribe email via request?
>
> Sure.  Just set up your aliases to support that.  Mailman doesn't
> actually see anything of the addresses that were used to submit the
> messages, it just takes the command-line options it's passed via the
> alias definition.

There should be no need to add aliases for that, they already exist.
The <listname>-join (and <listname>-leave) aliases will ignore the
subject and body.

The mailman list admin manual says this:

1.1 A List's Email Addresses

[...]

  • mylist-join at example.com - by sending a message to this address, a
    new member can request subscription to the list. Both the
    Subject: header and body of such a message are ignored. Note that
    mylist-subscribe at example.com is an alias for the -join address.

  • mylist-leave at example.com - by sending a message to this address,
    a member can request unsubscription from the list. As with the
    -join address, the Subject: header and body of the message is
    ignored. Note that mylist-unsubscribe at example.com is an alias for
    the -leave address.

I don't know for sure if these were in 2.1.3, but I suspect they were.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind.
    -- Dr Seuss, "Oh the Places You'll Go"