[Mailman-Users] How to enable piping in /etc/aliases?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Aug 15 05:38:28 CEST 2007

On 8/15/07, Thomas Anderson wrote:

>  Thanks for the explanation of the circumstances. I got a tip from
>  another forum on the internet. It suggested to try to replace Exim4 with
>  Postfix because it is claimed not to have piping disabled and that it is
>  tightly compatible with Mailman. I post this here in case someone
>  googles this lists archives.

Certainly, postfix is known to work well with Mailman.  We use it in
conjunction with the various Mailman-hosted mailing lists at
python.org.  However, sendmail also works fine, and I also know that
a number of people have set up Exim to work well.

In the case of Exim, I believe that the recommended method is to use
their "router" feature, so that you don't need to set up any aliases,
and therefore you presumably wouldn't need to use piping in your
aliases file.

However, if you are unable or unwilling to use the Exim "router"
solution, I believe that they can also make use of the standard
aliases file, including the use of pipes.

That said, beyond the Exim documentation that we link to, provided at
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman.html>, I'm not personally familiar
with how to integrate Mailman and Exim.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0