[Mailman-Users] Spam

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Aug 9 04:00:01 CEST 2007

Jewel Makda writes:

 > I am receiving spam from a listserv on my server and I am not even
 > subscribed to it. The spam is not getting through to the list members
 > which is a good thing.  The name of the list is: maineattorneys-l and
 > sometimes the email will be to:
 > maineattorneys-l-request at domain.com
 > maineattorneys-l-admin at domain.com
 > maineattorneys-l-bounces at domain.com

Uneasy rests the head of the boss.  Users' mail is often very broken.
It makes sense to reject or discard that mail when sent to the list,
because if you do pass spam anywhere from one to hundreds of thousands
of unsuspecting users will be annoyed by it.

However, if the user has a problem, then there has to be a way for
them to contact the "responsible party" to help get it solved.
Determining whether a particular oddball mail is spam, or is from a
user who has managed to mangle the expected format into something
unrecognizable to Mailman, requires (human) intelligence.  That's you.

AFAIK Mailman makes no provision at all for filtering on those
addresses.  But (if you have administrative access to the mail server)
you can put your own filters in at that level, or (with shell access
to Mailman) you can add one either to the Mailman administrative
pipeline or (I believe) customize the admin pipeline for lists where
you're getting spam.