[Mailman-Users] a few questions about the NNTP gateway

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Aug 7 17:49:08 CEST 2007

Barry Finkel ha scritto:
> Brad Knowles wrote in reply to a posting:
>
>> And I'm not at all convinced that "security problems are not a
>> problem, with Debian" or any other OS, for that matter.  Especially
>> not with an old binary package that is based on old code that is
>> known to have security flaws.
>
> When I was comparing the sources for Ubuntu/Debian Mailman 2.1.5
> against the SourceForge 2.1.9 source, I had to check the three
> security patches in 2.1.9.  Two of the patches matched; one was
> completely different (different code in a different module).
> I do not have enough knowledge of the internals of Mailman to be
> able to determine if this third patch resolved the security
> problem.  I ended up building my own Ubuntu package from the 2.1.9
> SourceForge source, in the process eliminating almost all of the
> Debian/Ubuntu patches.  The patches were, for the most part,
> undocumented, so I had no idea exactly what they did.  Nor did I know
> if they would fit into the 2.1.9 source, as some of the patches were
> based on pre-2.1.5 code.

Manlio Perillo replied:
>This was unexpected!
>Do you have opened a bug report?

No, because

     1) I have built an Ubuntu Mailman package from the 2.1.9 SF source,
        and I am no longer interested in whatever Debian/Ubuntu did/does
        with their patches.  I built a package, it works, and I know
        how to build a package from the next Mailman source release.
        I know which Debian/Ubuntu patches to include (those that put
        files in the proper Debian directories).

     2) I have no idea if there is a bug.  I have to assume that the
        third security patch they put into their Mailman package does
        resolve the security problem.  I really have no way to test,
        nor do I have a desire to test.  What bug do you suspect from
        what I wrote?
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov