[Mailman-Users] Can this be done using Mailman?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Aug 7 17:19:40 CEST 2007

Good morning/Afternoon/evening,

I've been looking for a possible solution now for a few days, checked
the docs, archives, search engines, etc. No clue.

We maintain several large mail lists for a client, excess of 40k
subscribers, all opt-in - verified - signed in blood addresses. We use
verp to purge the list of mis behaving subscribers. People who use the
AOL spam button to unsubscribe and their ilk. No issues there, all is
working fine.

The client is asking for the ability to manage list messages in a new
way. We are unable to do so using our current software, ezmlm. Here is
the scoop. The client has twenty mail lists, and subscribers can sign up
for any number of lists. The client wants to be able to send a common
message to some lists without sending duplicate messages if a subscriber
is on more then one list. The key is some lists must be excluded from
receiving the message. Think distributors vs retailers vs wholesales vs
consumers.

This brought us to looking at Mailman topics.

As we understand it you can have topics, and subscribers will only
receive messages directed at the topics they subscribe to. This means a
subscriber could subscribe to [members], [stores], and [retailers], if
we send a message to [stores] they will receive it. If we send a message
to all topics, subscribers will receive only one message. This is what
we want.

However, if we send a message only to [stores] and to [members],
subscribers will receive two copies. This is not what we want. In order
to have a subscriber receive only one copy of the message, the message
must go to ALL topics, [stores], [members], [retailers], [malls],
[gas_stations], [gas_stations_with_inside_bathrooms],
[gas_stations_with_outside_bathrooms_in_north_dakota], etc. Not what we
want.

Is this correct? Can we send a message to only three of twenty topics
and subscribers who are only subscribed to one of the seventeen excluded
topics will receive no message, and subscribers subscribed to two of the
three included topics will receive only one message?

It is not clear to us from the docs or from any information we have been
able to find. Thanks,

DAve
Veterans?