[Mailman-Users] 550 User Unknown when trying to post tomailman/sendmail list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 2 16:39:53 CEST 2007

Melick Andy wrote:
>Can you do it another way? I heard talk of setting up aliases? I really
>only have a few lists that I need setup I don't mind manual intervention.

1) Undo everything you did for mm-handler.

2) Be sure that the Defaults.py setting

MTA = 'Manual'

is not overridden in mm_cfg.py (You may have put MTA = None in
mm_cfg.py for mm-handler).

3) Run Mailman's bin/genaliases. This will give you a list of 10
aliases per list. Add these exact aliases to /etc/aliases.

4) Run Sendmail's /usr/bin/newaliases command.

That's it.

After that, each time a list is created or deleted, you will get a
notice of the aliases to be added or deleted in /etc/aliases. Make the
change and run newaliases again.

If you want to automate this process, see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.049.htp>,
but if list creation/deletion is rare, it may not be worth it.