[Mailman-Users] web interface bug after restore mailman

Cen Gao cengao at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:59:49 CEST 2007

Hi Mark:
thanks again for your help

On 8/1/07, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Cen Gao wrote:
> >
> >Traceback:
> >

> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman//scripts/driver", line 82, in run_main
> >immediate=1)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman//Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py",
> >line 52, in __init__
> >    Logger.__init__(self, category, nofail, immediate)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman//Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 50, in __init__
> >    self.__get_f()
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman//Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 68, in __get_f
> >    1)
> >  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/codecs.py",
> >line 566, in open
> >    file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
> >IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/bin/mailman/logs/error'
> <snip>
> >

> >FYI, the log directory and even all the mailman directory is owned by
> >mailman:mailman
>

> The web server cannot write the error log. Are all the wrappers in
> $mailman/cgi-bin/ group mailman and do they all have the SETGID bit
> set?
>
> E.g., -rwxr-sr-x xxxx mailman

Yes, all the wrappers in cgi-bin have -rwxr-sr-x mailman:mailman.
Does this bug come out just because of the webserver cannot write error logs?
It seems that everything in the logs/ directory has been written
correctly. (smtp,post,etc.) Ever the error log, if I mistakenly type
in bin/mailmanctl without any argument,this action was immediately
written this in the error log

> If this is OK, I seem to recall some Apple issue mentioned on this list
> a couple of years ago. Search the archives.
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>
>

> Was there anything else on the page before this about the initial
> problem that it was trying to write to the error log?

no, I paste every line in the trackback & python informtaion sections here.

And the weird thing is mailman works prefectly well even yesterday
morning on exactly the same machine. Then I backup it, reinstall the
OS, copy it back, Set the httpd and cron. Now the mailman works but
just the web interface down.I carefully checked every singe directory
to make sure the file owner and privilege are exactly the same as
before.
I really have no clue here.

> >And in /logs/error , it says
> >

> >Aug 01 00:02:04 2007 (432) Uncaught runner exception: multipart message with
> > no defined boundary
> >Aug 01 00:02:04 2007 (432) Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman//Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 100, in _oneloop
> >    msg, msgdata = self._switchboard.dequeue(filebase)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman//Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 164, in dequ
> >eue
> >    msg = email.message_from_string(msg, Message.Message)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman/pythonlib/email/__init__.py", line 51, in message
> >_from_string
> >    return Parser(_class, strict=strict).parsestr(s)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 75, in parsestr
> >    return self.parse(StringIO(text), headersonly=headersonly)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 64, in parse
> >    self._parsebody(root, fp, firstbodyline)
> >  File "/usr/local/bin/mailman/pythonlib/email/Parser.py", line 246, in _parsebo
> >dy
> >    raise Errors.BoundaryError(
> >BoundaryError: multipart message with no defined boundary
> >Aug 01 00:02:04 2007 (432) Ignoring unparseable message: 1181090435.8718021+ee06
> >64d951288e0b7e6fb4b4e2b0efdc18362709
>

> This error is from an incoming post that is unparseable - almost
> certainly spam. The message was discarded.

Yeah, checked the pervious error log, it seems those same errors have
been written all the time even when mailman works well. So I don't
think that will cause a problem either.