[Mailman-Users] web interface bug after restore mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Aug 1 03:54:14 CEST 2007

Cen Gao wrote"

>Now mailman works well and it can distribute mail without any problem.
>The only problem I get is I can not access any web interface pages and
>it shows the error message as below.
>
>*********
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.9
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
>traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
>but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
>**********
>
>I am pretty sure that my httpd is configured well.(Otherwise, I should get a "
>404 not found" error rather than this)
>check_perms  shows no permission problem.
>I even did a reinstall from source and the problem remains.
>
>And it seems that the  $mailman/logs/error didn't show any error, nor
>I can found any in /var/logs/

Look in mm_cfg.py for a definition of LOG_DIR. If there isn't one, then
look in Defaults.py ( there it should be
LOG_DIR         = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'logs')
), and if so, then look in Defaults.py for the definition of
VAR_PREFIX. This should tell you where the logs are.

If you still can't find them, or if the problem is the error log isn't
being written (are the smtp and post logs in the same directory being
written?), you can edit $mailman/scripts/driver and find line 31 or so
which says

STEALTH_MODE = 0

and change it to

STEALTH_MODE = 1

which will display the error information in your browser. Without this
information, there's not much more we can do.