[Mailman-Users] Lists stop working

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Apr 28 09:56:22 CEST 2007

bjames at cisco.com writes:

 > I do not have direct access to the list server system; I am working
 > through our ISP's support service.  Any suggestions for what I can
 > tell them to look for

I'd suggest just giving them this address.

"Support" implies that they know what they are doing, and will do it
for you.  That includes getting consulting help when they don't have
expertise in-house.  Support is part of the advertised service, isn't
it?  Why should you have to be posting here, except to provide details
that the support staff overlooked or doesn't have?  Why should we be
guessing what information the ISP is looking at, but isn't telling us?

OTOH, we don't charge ISPs to post to this list, any more than we
charge list admins or users.  There are plenty of people who ask for
help on this list as part of their paid duties, and nobody asks or
cares; we just help them out.

So tell your ISP to *please* write us.  This is *their* problem, and
they should not impose it on you.  It can't slow things down, either,
as there is almost certainly nothing useful you can do without their
intervention.

If they won't, I think it's obvious what your next step is.

Cheers,