[Mailman-Users] Server migration problems

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Fri Apr 27 19:58:16 CEST 2007

Hi All--

On 4/27/07, Aaron Crosman <acrosman at afsc.org> wrote:

> Apache's error log:
> [Fri Apr 27 11:42:14 2007] [error] [client 172.17.201.205] Symbolic link
> not allowed or link target not accessible:
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/itd_test, referer:
>
> I can't browse the file system (in bash) to those directories.  I did
> double check the links in public as root, and they do work just fine, so
> I'm at a permissions problem.  What should the perms here be?  Or am I
> missing something else?

Unless I'm missing something, this is an Apache configuration problem.
 It both has to know about the mailman directories and be allowed to
follow symbolic links.  Permissions have to be correct yes, but if
Apache can't follow links then the permissions are moot.  Include this
directive in your httpd.conf file:

	Options FollowSymLinks

You must provide it for any directory you need to put symlinks in.  For example:

Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
<Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    blah blah blah ...
</Directory>

Of course, the directories listed in httpd.conf are dependent on your
*nix, as is the location (and name) of the httpd.conf file.

Metta,
Ivan
--
Ivan Van Laningham