[Mailman-Users] Lists stop working

Rolf E. Sonneveld R.E.Sonneveld at sonnection.nl
Fri Apr 27 13:12:40 CEST 2007

bjames at cisco.com wrote:
> Did you ever find a solution to this issue?
>
> I realize that this is a really old posting:
>
> 	I send an eMail to one of the lists, I can see in my /var/log/maillog;
>
> 	     Jun 10 11:27:03 osiris sendmail[2756]: h5A9R392002756:
> 	     from=<Niklas.Nikitin at xxx
>              <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >,
>              size=502, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> 	     msgid=<5.2.1.1.2.20030610112857.00b9b740 at xxx
>              <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >,
>              proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
> 	     relay=cassini.xxx [193.10.220.37]
>
> 	     Jun 10 11:27:03 osiris sendmail[2757]: h5A9R392002756:
> 	     to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post nicke-test",
> 	     ctladdr=<nicke-test at xxx
>              <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> > (8/0),
>              delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
> 	     mailer=prog, pri=30704, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
>
> 	that the server is receiving the eMail and is forwarding it to
>         Mailman. But in Mailman's logs I will not find any information
>         that it has received the eMail and no eMail is sent to the members
>         on the list. If I dump all members of the list to a file, remove
>         the list, create the list again and add all members, the list is
>         working again for a while, and then it repeats again.
>
> but I've run into a very similar problem with two mailing lists that are
> managed using the current release of Mailman.
>
> The first symptom was that messages sent to the mailing lists were not
> distributed to the list, and did not show up in the list archive.
>
> After my ISP reinstalled Mailman, messages to the list started to show
> up in the list archive again. But the messages were still not distributed
> to members of the list.
>
> We found that if we add a new user, then a message to the list *is*
> delivered to that new user, but still not to any of the existing users.
>
> If the *new* user posts a message, that message appears in the list
> archive and the message is delivered to the entire mailing list.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a way to dump and reload the mailing list that
> preserves all per-list-member configuration options, so if possible,
> we'd like to avoid that workaround.  Especially if it only works
> temporarily.
>
> Any insight / help / pointers appreciated.

today I have a similar (or the same?) problem. Running Mailman V2.1.9.
Symptoms in my case: a new member (added with the command line utility
add_members) is subscribed properly, the associated mail address gets a
welcome message (so far so good), but mail to the mailing list arrives
at Mailman, but is not distributed to the new user. I tried adding a
second user, but the same problem.

I have checked a number of things from the FAQ to diagnose the problem
but I see nothing unusual. No traces in the logs directory. And I'm sure
Mailman has accepted the mail for further processing (I can see from the
mail logs).

How can I trace these messages in Mailman? I looked in the qfiles/
subdirectories, but no files there... Is there any logging/debugging
that can be turned on to see what steps Mailman takes to a) process the
mail, (b) expand the mailing list and c) deliver the mail to the mail
server. SMTP settings are default. Or is there any utility to quickly
see what messages are in the Mailman queue for processing?

/rolf