[Mailman-Users] Integrating mailman with joomla/mambo

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Mon Apr 23 16:21:21 CEST 2007

On Monday 23 April 2007 06:06:32 David Ravetti wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2007, at 06:51 , David Southwell wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Has anyone done this?
> > If so how successful?
> > How about username/password integration?
> > It would be really great to have mailman as a joomla/mambo module
> > If not does anyone have any ideas how to go about this?
> > I am posting a similar question in the joomla forum
> >
> > David
> > david.ravetti%40us.army.mil
> >
> > Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
> > req=show&file=faq01.027.htp

> David,
>
> We have a site that uses Joomla and also produces a newsletter
> through Mailman. There is no integration between the two in the way
> that you're thinking of - they're on separate servers in fact - but
> from a user perspective it all appears to be a single site.
>
> They have the newsletter signup form within the Joomla site. They
> simply copied the form commands that would be used from within the
> Mailman subscription page. The subscription confirmation page was
> then customized within Mailman to reflect the site's look and feel
> (it could also have been customized to redirect to a page within the
> site to keep everything within Joomla).
>
> Another site has done a similar setup within Moveable Type.
>
> I wouldn't feel comfortable with doing username/password integration,
> at least not with our setup, since Mailman's password system is less
> rigorous than Joomla's. It could probably be done with some
> customization and proxying if you own the server, but since Mailman
> sends passwords in the clear it would reduce the security of the
> Joomla site.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> David Ravetti

> Technical Manager, Army Homepage

Thanks very much for your interesting comment which I have forwarded to the
list along with my reply.. I hope you don't mind but I have changed this
round to the standard bottom post because top posting tends to confuse.

I have received one encouraging reply from Brian on the Joomla  Integration
forum who says:

>>The only thing I have seen is this module for subscribing
>>http://forge.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/viewRelease/projects.gesellix/frs.mailman_
>>subscripe.2_4

I think this could provide an interesting basis for building further extension
modules. For my part, as I use my own server, I would prefer to shift away
from sending passwords in the clear (apart possibly an initial use one time
use for mass subscriptions followed by logon verfication).

Thanks for your input, it is apprecaited

david