[Mailman-Users] DEFAULT_SUBSCRIBE_POLICY

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Apr 17 20:18:51 CEST 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, kalin mintchev wrote:

> i'm really tired of clients batching over the subscription
> confirmation:
> "but why?", "nobody will do it and we goanna lose people?", "it's to
> difficult", "can we do it without it?!", "our list is special..", etc,
> etc...

I agree that for many lists and many users the confirmation step is a
point where legitimate subscription attempts fail.  But ...

List bombing (maliciously subscribing people to lots of lists) does
happen.  (I have been a victim of it several times).  What I've seen
is that known anti-spammers get their addresses added  to lists that
don't do proper confirmation.   Maybe not this year, or maybe not the
next year, but it is almost certain that you will end up getting
yourself blacklisted.

Anyway, I see from a later post of yours that you found out how to do
the configuration you want.  Please consider that step carefully.

Also look at enabling VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, which will result in having
confirmation requests go out with a more helpful Subject header.  You
need to configure your MTA appropriately for VERP (basically handling
"username+whatever" local parts correctly).

-j