[Mailman-Users] Support for Cpanel users?

Michael Kabot mkabot at soarol.com
Tue Apr 17 07:15:52 CEST 2007

| For Plesk, they use an ancient version of Python, and an ancient
| version of all the Python libraries, but if you know what you're
| doing and you hold your mouth right while doing the correct dance
| while waving a dead chicken, you can jury-rig things so that you can
| actually replace the version of Mailman that is installed without
| disturbing Plesk too much.
|
| However, the moment you do this, you wipe out any possibility of ever
| getting any kind of support on anything else related to Plesk -- your
| hosting provider isn't going to touch the machine unless it's their
| official plain-jane installed version, and the Plesk folks aren't
| even going to talk to you at all.
|
| So, this probably isn't a good option for use with Plesk, either.

The latest release of Plesk (8.1) from Feb 07 is only 1.1 revs out on python
and 0.4 revs out for mailman.  That's not too bad for commercial software.

As for support... I've found your hosting provider and Plesk won't really
give you the level of support you need anyhow if you need to be on the
latest release or tweak something in the config.  That's why these forums
exist !  Also, if you have the ability to change versions - usually it means
your are in a virtual or dedicated server which has very little technical
support anyhow.

I'll have to go back and pull out my notes on how I got Plesk, Mailman, &
Qmail to work together.  I know out of the box that unlike Cpanel/Mailman,
Plesk/Mailman is limited to a single namespace for list names across virtual
domains.

In Service,

Michael Kabot
President - SOAR