[Mailman-Users] message archiving problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 16 17:56:04 CEST 2007

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Mark Sapiro writes:
>
> > I said in my first reply
> >
> >  A single post should be archived as one message unless it containes
> >  lines beginning with "From " (*nix mbox separators), but I think the
> >  current archiver escapes extraneous "From " lines, so even these won't
> >  cause a single message to be separated in the archive.
>
>Are you sure?  pipermail's command line tool obviously has to respect
>From_ separators, since it processes whole mailboxes in one gulp.  The
>email module does optionally do from-stuffing when it writes out a
>message, but it might be tricky to get this right on input, since the
>archiver function can operate either pipelined on a single message or
>batch processing a whole mbox file.

I tested it with the current 2.1 branch and the From_ lines are stuffed
in the outgoing message, the digests and the archive. This works
because Mailman is working with a message object which is flattened to
text for all of these purposes via a generator which uses the default
True value for mangle_from_.