[Mailman-Users] Topics and senders

Martin Dennett md6969 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:49:57 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Martin Dennett wrote:
>

>> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>> What Mailman version is this, and is it a package or a source install?
>>>
>>> I've only actually tested this on 2.1.5, but I see nothing in the code
>>> in other versions that would affect it.
>>>
>> It's version 2.1.9.cp2, and a package. I'm with Site 5.
>>

> OK. I've tested this now with Mailman 2.1.9+ with the same result,
> namely an urgent message is sent to all list members regardless of
> delivery status, regular/digest or other filters.
>
> Thus, not sending urgent messages to delivery disabled members in your
> case is most likely a cPanel 'feature'. See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.
>
> In any case, it seems that using the Urgent: header for these kinds of
> messages is still a good solution for you as your Topics method didn't
> deliver to delivery disabled members either, nor did it deliver
> immediately to digest members, and the Urgent: header avoids the reply
> problem with topics.
Mark

Sorry for the delay - it's been a busy week...

I'll accept that it's down to cPanel - but I won't push my provider, for
reasons I need not go into here.

I got my Topics issue sorted a while back, thanks to another member
(whose name escapes me). What I did at that time was to edit the HTML
page for user options to remove the disable delivery option, so that
everybody either *has* to get mail that matches the topic, or sees it in
the digest. I think in future I'll go with the Urgent: header though as
it does avoid being bombarded with loads of emails asking "why am I
getting this?"

Thanks for all you help

MD