[Mailman-Users] HTML causing list-wide bounce?

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Sat Apr 14 16:43:57 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:49 PM -0400 4/13/07, Paul Tomblin wrote:
>
>>>  The email message causing the issue
>>>  -- .html format http://www.soarol.com/tmp/EmailList-HTMLerror-2.html
>>
>>  First comment - why the hell is he sending javascript in an email
>> message?
>>  That plus the Paypal thing probably screams "scammer" to most mail
>>  filters.  Because it's happening to everybody, I'm betting it's an
>>  outgoing mail filter.
>
> If so, then Michael would be well advised to look at the mail filtering
> process that is being used on the mail system and the Mailman server.
> For obvious performance reasons, you want to do all mail filtering on
> the inbound leg only, and avoid any further filtering on the outbound leg.

I found that the postfix /etc/postfix/access file allows you to specify
domains that can't send you email (for instance, I reject anything from
*.com.cn), but it also prevents you from sending email to those domains.
So it's possible that a locally created email would not trigger any
incoming mail filter but would trigger those same filters on the outbound.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com>
"Stay calm, be brave, and wait for the signs!"