[Mailman-Users] hostname appears in URLs, despite hostname is not set in DEFAULT_URL_HOST (solved)

Rolf E. Sonneveld R.E.Sonneveld at sonnection.nl
Fri Apr 13 15:47:29 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro schreef:
> Rolf E. Sonneveld wrote:
>
>> I have solved my problem by adding lists.domain.com as a CNAME to
>> host.domain.com in DNS. Then I was able to connect to
>> http://lists.domain.com and new mailing lists were created with the
>> proper settings. No need to use 'add_virtualhost'. Sorry to have
>> bothered you; hopefully this mail helps someone in the future to solve
>> his/her problems when he/she looks it up in the mail archives.
>>

> It is better not to use a CNAME. Rather use an A record with the same
> address as the primary host. See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.022.htp>.

Thanks for the information. I knew that an MX record may not point to a
CNAME (RFC974, later RFC2821) but I didn't came across a mailer which
does rewriting based upon a CNAME (unless explicitely configured to do
so). FYI: I'm integrating Mailman with Sun Java System Messaging Server.

Anyway, I fully agree with you that at the end of the day, an CNAME
record will probably cause more problems than an A record, so I'll
change it. Thanks for your feedback.

/rolf