[Mailman-Users] Are edits to data/aliases preserved

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 10 22:45:34 CEST 2007

Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

>I'm using mailman with postfix.  Mailman creates and modifies the file
>
>    mailman/data/aliases
>
>which is (indirectly) used by postfix for the aliases that mailman uses.
>
>I would like to edit some of the content of that file by hand, in
>particularly I want bounces to both be processed by mailman and sent
>to the list owner.  So I'd like to change the line
>
>spirit-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces spirit"

>spirit-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
>spirit", spirit-owner
>
>Will such an edit survive any future mailman additions to data/
>aliases?  Also, is there some other/better way of achieving what I
>want to achieve (seeing all bounces and having mailman process them

Making the listname-bounces alias go to both 'bounces' and 'owner' is
probably the most convenient way for the owner to see every bounce.
With list settings, you can see unrecognized bounces and those bounces
that cause a disable, but the normal bounces that are recognized as
such but do not cause a disable (i.e. are not the bounce that puts the
score over the threshold) will not be seen unless you either modify
the code or do something with the alias as you suggest.

As far as the edit surviving changes is concerned, it will as long as
you don't run Mailman's bin/genaliases. Normal addition or deletion of
lists only adds or removes stanzas to/from the data/aliases file, but
bin/genaliases rebuilds it from scratch.