[Mailman-Users] Virtual hosts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 10 19:13:17 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:

>Most likely the desired virtual host name is a CNAME alias for the
>real canonical name.  The RFCs require that all CNAME aliases be
>resolved into their true canonical names, before delivering the
>message.  The solution is to remove the CNAME records and have the
>desired virtual host name resolve directly to an IP address record
>(either an IPv4 "A" record, or an IPv6 "AAAA" record).

Thanks Brad. Now that you mention it, I recall seeing this on the list
several times before.

>I believe that all this is documented in the FAQ.

It isn't AFAICT. I was going to add it, but I am looking for a specific
RFC reference. I have looked at several RFCs and I don't see anything
that talks about rewriting domains in headers. All I found was RFC
1123 (STD 3), sec 5.2.2 which requires that canonical names, not
aliases, be used in MAIL and RCPT commands. Can you tell me where to
look?